Authors: Valerie Hisam

“The Heartbreak Kid” may win the hearts of students at the free sneak preview tonight in the Lory Student Center Theatre.

Hosted by the Association for Student Activity Programs (ASAP), the preview of “The Heartbreak Kid” is a special opportunity for students to go see a free movie before it is released nationwide.

“It’s a movie showing for free, that could save students like $8,” said Ashley Blocton, a senior psychology major and the ASAP special events coordinator. “It’s at least a cheap date.”

ASAP is able to present movies for free on campus because of the movie it is a way for these companies, such as DreamWorks, “to get reviews on how the movie will do in theaters,” Blocton said.

For Blocton, the largest part of her job is to organize the advertising and schedule the theater, other than that, the movie company does everything else. These movie companies go to all different campuses, Blocton added, because they look to target the prime audience for these types of movies – such as college students.

Once the movie ends, Blocton and other ASAP members survey a few students, which then get passed along to the movie companies.

Because of these reviews, ASAP was previously able to show “The Kingdom” in early September, and the blockbuster “300,” which according to Blocton, was a “sold-out” sneak preview.

“These are good because students get to watch a movie before it is even out,” Blocton said. “But the best part is, is that they are always fun.”

“The Heartbreak Kid” is a romantic comedy about Eddie Cantrow (Ben Stiller), who is desperate to find his soul mate and rushes into marriage with Lila (Malin Akerman). But once the honeymoon begins, the true, nightmarish personality of Lila comes out, and Eddie finds himself stuck, having fallen for the true girl of his dreams.

“The Heartbreak Kid” will start at 8 p.m. in the LSC Theatre, which is located in the southwest area of the LSC.

Students can pick a pass in the ASAP office that is in the lower level of the LSC, or students just have to bring their CSU ID to the theatre. Seating is limited to only 600, so it is suggested to come early. The movie runs for approximately 105 minutes.

Verve reporter Valerie Hisam can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

—————————————–

“The Heartbreak Kid” Sneak Preview hosted by ASAP

When: Tonight at 8 p.m.

Where: Lory Student Center Theatre

Cost: Free!

Passes are available in the ASAP office in the basement of the LSC, or students can bring their CSU ID to the theatre.