Habitat for humanity

Authors: Ricki Dugdale

The Fort Collins Habitat for Humanity has constructed 37 homes since the beginning of the organization in 1993, but their most recent project holds special meaning, as it was the first to be featured in the Home Builders Association of Northern Colorado’s Parade of Homes.

In cooperation with CSU Greek Life and the CSU Department of Design and Merchandising, the three bedroom, two bath home was completed in record time, early in September.

“It was truly a community effort,” said Candace Mayo, executive director for Habitat for Humanity, in a press release.

The CSU Department of Design and Merchandising logged an impressive amount of hours preparing and executing an appropriate design for the home.

“One thing we integrate in the Interior Design Program is the need for students to be involved in community service throughout their program,” said Stephanie Clemons, professor of interior design.

Because it was a great opportunity for students to learn and give back, 11 interior design students came together to get the home ready in time for the Parade.

“We had a core group of two students that worked with the clients through the summer and then more students helped with the staging in September because they were back in town,” Clemons said.

Cheree Sulcer and Ani Cesario, seniors in the interior design program, spear-headed the design for the home.

“In January, we were approached by Candace Mayo, and she told us about the family and what we were getting into,” Sulcer said. “ASID was already involved in another project, but I thought this would be really beneficial and, as ASID president, I took it upon myself.”

With the help of Cesario, the two students spent the summer meeting with the family, going over designs with the architect Terence Hoaglund and looking for donations.

“It was hard because we couldn’t be too picky. It was what people could afford to loan us for four weeks,” Sulcer said.

After months of hard work, Sulcer, Cesario and the other interior design students had completely staged the home in time for the parade thanks to their donations.

“The most gratifying part was working with the family and how excited they were,” Sulcer said. “It was a great partnership with the family and Habitat for Humanity and the finished project turned out great.”

CSU Greek Life also played a big role in the construction of this house as fundraising efforts were run through the organization.

“This was the first project the entire Greek community was involved with,” said Jarred Quintana, president of the Interfraternity Council and member of the Delta Tau Delta house.

Greek Life students had pledged to raise 25,000 dollars by the end of the semester to help pay for the construction of the home. Money raised from Greek week, t-shirt sales, cook-out sales and penny wars have been combined and put toward the total.

“We invite the entire community but the fundraiser is usually focused on CSU students and more specifically the Greek community,” Quintana said.

Through all of their hard work, the Greek community is excited to see their efforts go toward a great cause.

“It is a great project and we’ve been excited to help out the family,” Quintana said.

The Stricik family, refugees from a war-torn Bosnia, moved into their house the last weekend in September, after the Parade of Homes had been completed.

Now citizens of the United States, the family of three is excited to be in the new home, according to Shannon Hein, public relations and marketing coordinator for Habitat for Humanity.

Senior Reporter Ricki Dugdale can be reached at news@collegian.com.

————————————-

CSU students interested in volunteering or want to make a donation please contact Cathie Waugh at 488-2600 or faith@fortcollinshabitat.org.