Authors: Aaron Rognstad

This weekend, one ticket will bring more than 100 bands in 15 different venues to music enthusiasts all along the Front Range.

The Sky High Music Festival kicks off tonight and is set to offer a concert experience unheard of in this state. The festival will host a plethora of bands playing at venues in Denver, Evergreen, Colorado Springs and Fort Collins and music lovers can be admitted into each show with one $10 universal ticket.

Booking manger, Chris Defebio, concocted the concept and is offering all genres of music ranging from metal to reggae.

“It’s the first of its kind that I’ve seen,” Defebio said. “We’re always trying new ideas for concerts in Colorado.”

The Ogden Theater and Whitehouse Lounge in Denver will feature a full lineup of bands including Five Finger Dizcount, Such As I Am and Phoenix Rising.

Five Finger Dizcount, a rap/metal group out of Littleton, is excited to be playing at the Ogden and be part of something so big, they said.

“We’re really stoked,” said MC D-Blunt. “This is a great way for us to be exposed and a good opportunity to be playing with some really good talent.”

Such As I Am is a five-piece hard-rock/metal outfit from Boulder that has been around for ten years and will make their appearance the first night of the three-day event.

“It’s ‘gonna be a sweet event,” said front-man, Pepique Stout. “I’m excited to see how it unfolds because there are so many bands at so many events.”

Lead guitarist and founding member of Such As I Am, Mark Whitaker, said it has been a long time coming to play something of this size.

“It’s nice to finally get some recognition and play in a 100-band festival,” Whitaker said. “I’m excited to be a part of it.”

Also performing at the Ogden tonight is up-and-coming Phoenix Rising, a hard-rock ensemble from Aurora with three of its members attending school at Northern Colorado. Formed in 2005, the band has played a lot of smaller bars and clubs in and around Denver, but this will be the first time playing a venue the size of the Ogden.

“This will be one of our biggest shows yet,” lead vocalist Mike Lebois said. “We are truly proud to be playing there.”

Local jam-band, Wasabi, will be headlining The Whitehouse Lounge on Saturday night. Wasabi has been playing together for five years and is slowly making a name for itself as one of the state’s most well known improvisational bands.

“Music is the best,” saxophonist Tom Gray said. “And this festival, if given enough power, is a high-speed train that will propel us into the future of rock n’ funkin’ roll.”

Closing the festival on Sunday night at the Aggie is Fort Collins’ own Opposing the Arrow, a hard/funk, alternative rock group entirely composed of CSU students. Formed two years ago, vocalist Chris Seegers, lead guitarist Dan Both, bassist Tom Whitney and drummer Alex Bennett, combine an early Incubus feel with a Mars Volta rock sound. All the members are graduating this spring with the exception of Whitney.

“It’s a great chance for us to get into the Aggie,” Both said. “Come check it out and see if you like it.”

Tickets can be purchased at www.pmpresents.com.

Staff writer Aaron Rognstad can be reached at news@collegian.com.