Authors: Cece Wildeman

As part of the Hispanic Heritage month and the Diversity Conferences, the 5th annual night of music, dance, and fashion filled the Lory Student Center Theater on Thursday night.

” I like doing this because people can actually see the beauty of all the different cultures and what they have to offer. Promoting diversity is our big mission,” said Lisana Rojas, one of the dancers in the group Baila Conmigo.

Baila Conmigo is a family group with dancers ranging from ages 2-26. They perform dances from South America, Latin America and Mexico at various events such as Cinco de Mayo.

“It’s nice to meet new people and it’s just something to do. It’s entertainment and I like it,” said Natasia Lovato-Garcia, a participant in the fashion show.

Lovato-Garcia’s grandmother said that she likes watching her granddaughter perform in the fashion show because she is very poised and does an excellent job of showing the clothes. She said that entertainment has always been a part of the family in some form, so it just carries on to the younger generations.

The fashion show featured clothing from Cira Limited, located in downtown Fort Collins, and ranged from fall dresses to formal business wear. The models were ages 14-18 and were involved in their schools as well as their churches in the Fort Collins community.

“My favorite part of the fashion show is having the girls be a part of Hispanic Heritage Month and watching them grow and gain confidence,” said Beatrice Silva-Salas, the director of the fashion show.

Before and after the fashion show, Baila Conmigo performed dances from Peru. Spanish influences were seen in the flowers and lacy skirts that the dancers wore and an Indian influence was represented when they danced bare foot.

The event was sponsored by El Centro, in addition to various other programs that work with the city of Fort Collins and the CSU campus to provide educational programs and raise awareness about Hispanic culture.

Other events for Hispanic Heritage Month include The Story of Puerto Rico’s Development Paradox on October 2, Tres Vidas on October 9, La Raza Appreciation Day on October 12, and Day of the Dead on October 26.

Staff writer Cece Wildeman can be reached at news@collegian.com.