Q & A with Allison Gohl

Authors: By Anica Wong

Freshman cross-country runner Allison Gohl has already made a presence for herself here at CSU. At the Colorado State Classic home meet two weeks ago, Gohl placed fourth and third among the CSU women’s team, encouraging her coach and team that they can perform well at any level.

Why did you decide to come to CSU?

It was a hard decision, but in the end it was the balance between the school and the running and the distance away (from home). Everything about that just seemed kind of the best balance.

How did you start running?

I did track in middle school and then I was kind of into it. My dad got me more into running because he would run every morning and he would take me out for some runs. I remember our first run was two miles and I thought it was so long. But it kind of grew and I started to really like it. I actually didn’t run at first in high school. I swam and some of my friends from swimming were like ‘you should come out for cross country,’ so I did cross-country from sophomore year on and track as well.

What motivates you to run?

I like it. I think you grow into running. I think it is a gift I have been given. It gives me joy to do it. God has given me a passion for running and I am just going to go out there and run for him.

What do you like best about running?

I love long runs and I love racing. It is a lot of work to get to that point. And then the running culture is really fun. Everyone who runs is a little bit crazy!

What are you majoring in?

Biomedical sciences. I would like to be a physician’s assistant, or at least something in the medical field.

What made you decide that?

I just really like the medical side of things and working with people. Physician’s assistant is appealing because it isn’t 30 years of school.

What are your goals for this year- educational, social, running?

I think one of the main goals is keeping the balance that I came here for. It’s keeping that equilibrium of academics and running and having a social life as well.

Do you have any specific goals for the cross country season?

For the team, we would really like to do top 15 or 12 at nationals, which is a big goal, but that’s definitely doable. It’s been really cool how well we have done as a team so far, so that’s encouraging.

Personally, just to run well and stay healthy and contribute to the team as much as I can all the way through the end of the season.

What do you like best about CSU?

I’ve actually really enjoyed the team and being involved with people who love to run. It has been a great way to meet people and just do what I love at the same time.

What do you do in your spare time?

I really like just spending time with my family and friends. I love hiking as well.

What dorm are you living in?

Newsom

How has living in the dorms been?

It’s fine. You meet a lot of people, so that’s been fun. It is hard to study sometimes because there are always people everywhere.

Are you an only child or do you have siblings?

I have one older brother. He doesn’t run but he plays a lot of intramural sports. And he actually goes to CSU. He will graduate in Dec. His major is technical journalism. He likes all of the video editing and he is really good at that. It has been great being up here with him.