Authors: Sean Star

HOUSTON–A mere ten minutes was all it took for sophomore wide receiver Dion Morton to make Saturday’s 37-28 loss to the University of Houston the best game of his young career.

The ten minutes of glory began on CSU’s first drive of the game when senior quarterback Caleb Hanie tossed a 37-yard touchdown pass to Morton, giving the Rams the lead and the former high school quarterback his first career collegiate score.

“I got the family here from back home so it was pretty exciting,” Morton said.

After a Houston field goal on the ensuing possession, the 5-foot-10, 162 pounder was at it again. Morton fielded the following kickoff and returned it 74 yards to the Houston 23-yard line along the same sideline he scored the touchdown on.

With the long return, Morton had accumulated 111 total yards of offense almost as fast as his lighting-quick speed.

“Dion did what he always does, you all just don’t get to see it,” Hanie said. “He and (twin brother) Damon are almost the same person, although one will tell you he’s faster.”

Morton’s return also paved the way for another lesser-known Ram to score his first touchdown.

John Mosure, a redshirt freshman from Miami, Fla., made the most of a Hanie screen pass on third down and wove his way through the Couagar defense for a 21-yard touchdown.

“It was pretty cool,” said Mosure, who is listed as the fourth running back on the team’s depth chart. “I give all the credit to the glory of God.”

The Rams then led 14-3 and it was all thanks to a pair of players who have zero career starts between them.

But unfortunately for Morton, Mosure and the rest of the Rams, Houston outscored CSU 35-10 in the second half to hand the Rams their 10th straight loss.