Authors: Anica Wong

Hispanic Heritage Month has arrived at CSU. From Sept. 15 through Oct. 15, events and programs will be held on campus as well as in the Fort Collins community.

“For me, we have to remember our roots and celebrate that,” said Zulema Sierra, a senior technical journalism major.

Sierra has worked in the El Centro office for four years and has seen an increase in that time in the participation of students in the events held for Hispanic Heritage Month.

“People need to get out of the box and become familiar with other cultures,” Sierra said.

During a presentation entitled “Heritage Seeking through Study Abroad: Discovering Your Roots,” Happy Bennett, the study abroad advisor, said that some students go abroad to learn more about their background.

“Some students study abroad with the goal of finding where their family came from,” she said.

The presentation, one of many events this month, discussed the option students have to learn more about their heritage by studying in a different country.

This was especially important for Ana Avenda/o-Curiel. Before the junior international studies major traveled to France, her mother did some research on her father’s last name. When she got to France, she was able to find information about her ancestors.

“I could actually see that my last name belonged to a missionary,” Avenda/o-Curiel said.

This whole month will be focused on preserving and celebrating the Hispanic heritage through the scheduled events.

At 7 p.m. on Sept. 26, a discussion called “Soldados: Chicanos in Viet Nam” will be hosted at the Fort Collins Public Library. CSU’s anthropology professor and Vietnam vet Dr. Norberto Valdez will lead the discussion.

The fifth annual evening of music, dance and fashion will be at 7 p.m. on Sept. 27 in the LSC Theatre.

“One of my favorites is the evening of music and dance,” Sierra said. “We always get different bands.”

Another highlighted event this year is the play “Tres Vidas,” which will be held in the LSC Theatre on Oct. 9 at 7 p.m.

For more information and a complete schedule of events for Hispanic Heritage Month, please see the CSU Website or visit the El Centro office.

Staff writer Anica Wong can be reached at news@collegian.com

Girls in photo: Ana Avenda/o-Curiel (junior international studies major with concentration in Latin America and a French minor) and Raquel Oritz (sr. global tourism and Spanish double major)