Authors: Chris Seegers

It’s almost time to trade out the board shorts and bikinis for boots and parkas to brace for winter. Although winter may have approached quickly, the CSU Snowriders club is ready to gear up for the chilly season.

The Snowriders club exposition will be taking place on the Lory Student Center plaza from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Wednesday.

The expo is the first event held this year by the Snowriders club, which is a non-competitive club made up of students who enjoy skiing and snowboarding. The expo is intended to show students what Colorado has to offer winter.

“The expo is a great benefit to all participants; students get a chance to see what’s going on in the upcoming season, check out new gear and find out about how to obtain a season pass,” said Corey Cocker, senior biomedical science major and club president. “Also, it gives us an opportunity to meet new people and get them excited about getting back on the snow, and it also allows us to see faces we haven’t seen since last season and share stories.”

The expo will feature many of the city’s local ski and snowboard shops, plus many of Colorado’s ski resorts, Cocker said. And with such a high turnout of vendors, he expects quite a crowd throughout the day, he said.

Companies and organizations expected to be attending are Christy Sports, Outpost Sunsport, The Wright Life, The Market, Sesh, Arapahoe Basin, Steamboat, Crested Butte, Jackson Hole Resort, Vail Resorts, Copper Mountain, Winter Park, The CSU Snowboard Team, Freeskier Magazine, Thrillhead Creations and Loveland Ski Area, Cocker said.

The expo is also an opportunity for students to see what the Snowriders club is and what it has to offer. Additionally, students will have a chance to get an early look at some of the deals available to them during the upcoming ski season.

“Members of the club bring in a lot of business to our local shops, and they are fantastic to our members by offering them access to members-only in-store discounts on merchandise,” Cocker said. “And the resorts that attend are able to advertise and promote their upcoming events and get students excited and interested to go spend time on their mountain.”

Holly Wright, owner of the Wright Life, a local board shop, agreed that the expo is a helpful source of publicity for her shop.

Other local shop representatives agree.

“It gets our name out to all of the students,” said Maka Kalai, manager of Christy Sports. “We get a chance to show the benefits available to new members of the club.”

Snowriders is the largest club at CSU, and for any non-member, the expo is the first chance available to join the club, which is open to anyone who wants to join, said Cocker.

“Snowriders isn’t just for the most hardcore do-or-die rippers. We enjoy hanging and riding with anyone and everyone of all abilities regardless of how well they ride, which season pass they have or where they’re from,” he said. “Except if you’re a ski-blader, then we can’t be held responsible for our actions.”

The club will hold its first meeting Wednesday night at 7p.m. in Clark A102.

Staff writer Chris Seegers can be reached at news@collegian.com.