Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Though it makes them one of the hottest teams in the Mountain West Conference, the CSU women’s volleyball team is not paying attention to their six-match winning streak.

The impressive streak is second only to the UNLV, which has rattled off seven straight victories.

Outside hitter Amanda Fahnestock hasn’t given much thought to the winning streak.

“I don’t really think about it,” the senior said. “The more and more you start focusing on it, the more you are going to be afraid of losing it instead of getting another win.”

Coach Tom Hilbert agreed, explaining that you have to keep looking forward.

“You just have to think about the next one,” the 17th-year head coach said. “You can look at it scheduling wise or a number of different ways. We just need to do what we can do to win the conference.”

The Rams (6-3 1-0) will put their streak on the line as they host the New Mexico Lobos (9-2 0-0) 7 p.m. Saturday night at Moby Arena.

CSU is perfect in conference play so far, defeating TCU in three games Wednesday.

The Lobos come into the match ranked fourth in the Mountain West standings, losing games only to No. 26 New Mexico State and Gonzaga.

Libero Katelin Batten is expecting the Lobos to bring a better match than TCU did.

“They are going to provide better competition,” the sophomore said. “They are a better team, so we are going to have to play better than we did Wednesday.”

Hilbert called the Lobos a basic team, but explained that is what makes them so dangerous.

“They can cause you a lot of problems,” he said. “They just kind of bang the ball, which means we are going to have to block and play defense in order to gets points scored. We have to have our whole game going.”

New Mexico brings a young squad to CSU, featuring four sophomores, five freshmen and no seniors. Batten explained that shouldn’t be a reason to underestimate them.

“I think experience always plays a part, but last season we were a young team,” she said. “It can always creep up on you.”

Volleyball beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com

—————————————–

CSU by the Numbers

16.71- Kills per game, the most in the Mountain West Conference

7- Wins over New Mexico in the pairs last 8 meetings

3.41- Blocks per game. Leads the MWC

.291- Hitting percentage per game. Leads MWC

Catch the Match

What: CSU volleyball vs. New Mexico

When: Saturday, 7 p.m.

Where: Moby Arena

Tickets: Free for students

Coverage: KCSU @ CSURams.com