Authors: Brandon Goodell

Nick Hemenway, not surprisingly, was recently lucky enough to get an editorial printed in the Collegian, claiming that only Republicans are demonized for corruption in the media, whereas Democrats get a free pass.

The problem with Mr. Hemenway’s claim is that the Republican Party tends to be composed of self-righteous, sanctimonious politicians. They have built their careers condemning and legislating against the very activities they have been caught secretly engaging in, over and over again. The Republican Party seems to be rooted in hypocrisy and deceit.

When a public figure is vehemently opposed, on “moral” grounds, to equal rights for homosexuals, prostitution and drugs, it tends to be big news when said public figure is caught, like Ted Haggard, with a gay prostitute, selling meth. Or like Senator Craig hiring a gay prostitute in an airport bathroom.

Clinton may have had his infidelities, but he wasn’t a hypocrite – I can’t recall Clinton wasting my time by moralizing about how the homosexual agenda is degrading the sanctity of marriage itself.

Brandon Goodell

Senior mathematics book

graebg@gmail.com