Minch rocks the house

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Danielle Minch has stepped up big for the CSU volleyball team, and she hasn’t even finished her first year of college. In her last two matches, the freshman recorded nine kills and four block attempts. Now as she continues the volleyball season, Minch, a native of Sterling, is trying to improve her already-impressive play while balancing everything else in her life.

Q: How does it feel to be somewhat of a local girl and be playing volleyball for CSU?

A: It feels good to me because first of all, my parents can come to all of my matches, but also because I know more people who come to school here, so that gives us more fan support.

Q: When did you first start playing Volleyball?

A: Seventh grade – there was a little group at my school that played all the time and they were short one girl for a tournament, so they asked me to go. I had never played before and that is what got me started.

Q: Why did you decide to come to CSU?

A: Tom (Head Coach Tom Hilbert) is awesome. He is in it for all the right reasons and really wants us to have a good experience in volleyball and in college. He cares about the girls and the team a lot which is amazing.

Q: What is it like to be playing so much as a freshman?

A: It is really exciting. I love getting on the court and playing, and I feel like the team is clicking, which makes it fun.

Q: How hard is to balance life as a freshman with school, volleyball and everything else?

A: It is difficult because you feel like you don’t have as much time as an average teen would, but it is also kind of nice. You have a little support system within the team. That helps a lot.

Q: Evaluating your play so far, what are you personally doing well, and what do you need to work on?

A: I have a lot of room for improvement. It is just nice being on the floor so I can see what changes I need to make and what I am doing wrong. That way I can know what I need to do to fix it.

Q: Same question but from a team stand point.

A: In the beginning of our season we were struggling on serving and passing, but lately, after Hawaii, we have been doing a lot better. We just need to keep working on staying consistent.

Q: Are there any games you have circled on your calendar and are looking forward to?

A: Thursday’s game against CU (Boulder). We play Schylur (Edelman), and I went to high school with her. We were always kind of compared, so I am really excited to play them. I told Tom that I was going to be a completely different person that game, because I want to win so badly.

Q: Where do you see yourself your senior year?

A: I hope that I am able to do well in school and in volleyball and that I am just successful in both.

About Minch

Major- Education

Favorite Color- Pink

Favorite Movie- “Love and Basketball”

Favorite Food- Mexican

Most memorable sports moment- Winning the state championship as a junior in high school.

Favorite sport other than Volleyball- Basketball

Volleyball beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports.collegian.com