Authors: Anica Wong

The women’s cross country team dominated its season opener as they raced to a first-place finish at the Laramie Invitational last Friday. The men were also strong as they came in second behind Air Force.

Leading the women’s team was senior Heather Loseke, who won the individual title. She covered the 2.5 mile course in 14:42.5.

“It was a really good way to start the season,” said Loseke, an early childhood development major.

The Rams had runners in 8 of the top-10 women’s spots as they ran away with the title. Wyoming came in second, followed by University of Northern Colorado and Colorado Christian University in third and fourth place, respectively.

On the men’s side, the Rams were lead by sophomore Jeremy Freed, who finished the 4.25 mile course in 22:08.6.

“I think we got what we wanted out of it; to see where we are,” Coach Bryan Berryhill said. He added that it is nice to have an early season race to get all of the kinks out.

Both teams will now focus on their home meet, the Colorado State Classic on Sept. 15. Although the teams came out strong, Berryhill wants to focus on getting better and more consistent to prepare for their home meet.

“(The Wyoming meet) shows us what we need to work on for the rest of the season,” Berryhill said.

Cross country beat reporter Anica Wong can be reached at sports@collegian.com