Authors: Nick Hubel

It’s not that freshman Cody Hawkins was the absolute difference-maker for the Buffaloes in Saturday’s Rocky Mountain Showdown, but he also wasn’t the liability that the Rams hoped he would be coming into the game.

The 19-year-old son of CU-Boulder Head Coach Dan Hawkins did all that he needed to win, completing 18 of his 31 passes for 201 yards and two touchdowns. The win brought the young quarterback’s lifetime football record to 60-0 as a starter, dating back to his middle school days in Pop Warner.

“I feel great, I’m not a kid who gets nervous, but I was so excited when I came out here I was jumping around going crazy,” Hawkins said after the game Saturday. “It was an awesome game.”

Hawkins did show flashes of inexperience, however, forcing a trick play throw into double-coverage that was intercepted by CSU safety Mike Pagnotta.

Ram Coach Sonny Lubick said that despite the brief problems that Hawkins faced during the game, the young quarterback was highly effective when it mattered.

“I would say that he was pretty good; they’re not going to put a guy in there who can’t play,” Lubick said. “They had a good game plan for him.”

Hawkins and the Buffaloes will look to extend his win streak next week when they face Arizona State in Tempe, Arizona Saturday.

Sports writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com