Key Match-Up: Jordan Dizon

Authors: Jeff Dillon

Jordan Dizon:

/ CU Senior Weak-side Linebacker

/ 2004 Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year

/ Led the Buffs with 137 tackles in 2006

/ Pre-season first-team All-Big 12

Jordan Dizon is the senior anchor of the Buffs’ defense. His 137 tackles in 2006 were second-best in the Big 12. He’s a big, physical, weak-side linebacker who finds a way to factor into almost every play.

One year ago, Dizon led all defensive players with 12 tackles against CSU and the Buffs defense limited the Rams to just 60 yards rushing.

But that, of course, was without star running back Kyle Bell, who returns for the Rams this year after suffering a season-ending knee injury in 2006.

“They’ve got Bell back, and he’s their top dog,” Dizon said. “We know they’re going to run it hard on us.”

In 2005, the two faced off in the Showdown, with Bell gaining 66 yards and Dizon finishing with four tackles.

Dizon said Bell is a rare combination of physicality and speed, which makes him difficult to contain.

“Whenever you have a running back that’s big, powerful and elusive, that’s huge,” Dizon said. “He breaks tackles but he can also break off big runs in the open field, too. It’s tough.”

Dizon said the Buffs have to keep it simple and avoid big mistakes against Bell and the entire CSU offense. If so, Dizon said, it should be a CU victory.

“They’re a bunch of blue-collar guys and they always come out and work hard,” he said. “I just want to come out and do my job, and that’s what we all have to do. Whoever makes the least mistakes is going to win.”