Authors: Ricki Dugdale

In a town often praised for its diverse music scene, one genre missing from the local music venues is jazz. This weekend, some Fort Collins stages are filling the void.

The First Annual Avogadro’s Jazz Festival opens Saturday with local jazz bands, grub and an outdoor stage.

With live entertainment always on the menu, owner and manager Rob Osborne decided to give local jazz bands exposure among the Fort Collins community.

“No one has ever done something like this,” Osborne said. “Instead of getting big names, it’s nice to have local talent on display in our own backyard.”

“Avogadro’s backyard is equipped with an outdoor venue and an indoor stage room,” Osborne said.

Eight bands are on the schedule, and Osborne is expecting a large crowd to support the local talent.

“People are excited,” Osborne said. “We’ve already sold quite a few tickets.”

As word circulates through town, more and more people may be opening up to the idea of the new jazz festival.

“I am thinking about going,” Christine Wheatley, 27, said. “I’m definitely a supporter of the local scene.”

Known for the eclectic music selection, Avogadro’s will have every genre of jazz, from classic 1920’s to contemporary and gypsy swing.

“Avo’s offers music you wouldn’t get at other music venues,” said Jennifer Lyle, a junior political science major.

The group Jazz Extraordinaire will be kicking off Saturday on the patio at 2 p.m., followed by the Aakash Mittal Band, playing original music that combines straightforward jazz with East Indian music.

A late night jam in the Stage Room will conclude the musical event.

Osborne is preparing a barbeque and buffet for those who want to munch while immersing themselves in the sound of music, he said.

Ribs and burgers, veggie lasagna and tempeh burgers will be served a la carte. Soft drinks will also be available at the bar.

Tickets are still available for $7 through Friday, $3 for students and $10 the day of the show.

The event is family-friendly and open to everyone.

Staff writer Ricki Dugdale can be reached at news@collegian.com.

——————————

On the Patio:

2:00-3:15pm Jazz Extraordinaire

3:30-5:00pm Aakash Mittal Band

5:30-7:00pm The Just Jazz Quintet

7:30-9:00pm The Mark Manges Project with Rosann Winn

9:30-11:00pm Hot Club Nouveau

In the Stage room:

4:00-5:30pm The Poudre River Irregulars

6:00-7:30pm David Williams & Deco Django with Bill Pontarelli

8:00-9:30pm Montgomery Jazz Group with Mary Buirgy

10:00-11:30pm Late Night Jam