CSU-CU Rivalry Timeline

A brief history of the battle for the Centennial Cup:

1893 –

University of Colorado Boulder and Colorado Agricultural College (later Colorado State) play the first game in the rivalry’s history. The Aggies lose to the Buffalos 70-6.

1901 –

Colorado State takes the Centennial Cup for the first time, beating the Buffs in Fort Collins, 10-0.

1958 –

In their last year as the Aggies (the mascot was officially switched to the Rams in 1959), CSU defeats CU, 15-14. It was the team’s sixth road win in the rivalry game’s 65-year history.

1983 –

After a 23-year hiatus, the CSU-CU rivalry returns to the state of Colorado. Played in Boulder, CSU loses 31-3.

1988 –

CSU blows a 13-point lead in the second half, eventually falling to the Buffs 27-23 in Fort Collins.

1995 –

Head Coach Sonny Lubick experiences the game for the first time, losing to the Buffs 42-14 in Boulder. After 37 years of sporadic match-ups, the matchup is reinstated as an annual game after the 1995 season.

1998 –

The game is played at the Mile High Stadium in Denver for the first time and is billed as “The Rocky Mountain Showdown”. The game sets a new attendance record for the rivalry at 76,036, but the Rams could not keep up with the high-powered Buffs and lost 42-14.

2000 –

Senior quarterback Matt Newton, who would go on to be the MWC Player of the Year, leads the Rams to a 28-24 Showdown victory. Coupled with a 41-14 win over the Buffs in the 1999 season, the game represents the first back-to-back wins for the Rams in the Showdown in more than 50 years.

2002 –

Junior quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt scores the go-ahead touchdown on a 23-yard scramble with just 6:20 left on the clock, sealing the deal on the Rams 19-14 win. It is the Rams third Showdown win in four years.

2005 –

A 47-yard field goal with four seconds left in the game drowns the Rams hopes of stealing a win in Boulder, as they lose for the second straight year, 31-28.

2006 –

The Rocky Mountain Showdown returns to Denver in style, as the Rams overcome an early deficit to take the 14-10 win. The game has the lowest attendance of any since the Showdown moved to Denver, with 65,701 showing up to support their teams.

Fast Facts –

CU-Boulder holds the all time series advantage with a 57-19-2 record over CSU. In games played in Boulder, the Rams are 8-31-1. In Fort Collins the Rams are 7-23-1. In Denver the Rams hold the advantage 4-3.

– Compiled by Nick Hubel