Authors: Laura Anderson

The “Grill the Buffs” pep rally will combine free food and school spirit today on the Lory Student Center Plaza.

This is the second annual “Grill the Buffs” rally in preparation for Saturday’s Rocky Mountain Showdown football game between the CSU Rams the CU-Boulder Buffaloes.

Associated Students of CSU Assistant Director of Student Services, Joslynn Sielaff, a said the purpose of the rally is to get students excited about Saturday’s football game.

“It’s a time to kind of create unity between us,” Sielaff said.

Free buffalo burgers will be served to the first thousand students from 10 a.m. until supplies run out.

The pep rally begins at 11:50 a.m. and will feature the CSU pep band and cheer squad. Rams football coach Sonny Lubick and volleyball coach Tom Hilbert will also be in attendance.

ASCSU will be handing out Forever Green t-shirts and, in association with the athletics department, will be giving away two free tickets each to Saturday’s game to two students in attendance who display the most school spirit.

The first “Grill the Buffs” Pep Rally took place last September and was organized by former ASCSU Vice President Sadie Conrad.

“We don’t have very many traditions here on campus, so she started it last year,” said Zane Guilfoyle, ASCSU director of student services.

Guilfoyle hopes “Grill the Buffs” will someday be a long-standing tradition.

“We’re going to try to make it a tradition every year for the Friday before the Rocky Mountain Showdown,” Guilfoyle said. “This is the second time in two years, so we’re off to a good start.”

Staff writer Laura Anderson can be reached at news@collegian.com.