Authors: Ricki Dugdale

Over the past 30 years, research from the Division of Student Affairs has shown a positive correlation between student involvement on campus and staying in school.

The Student Involvement Fair, on the Lory Student Center Plaza from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 29, is here to make it more convenient for students to find their niche and keep busy during their college career at CSU.

“College students do better if they’re engaged in and out of the classroom,” said Dave McKelfresh, executive director for assessment and research. “They stay in school and graduate in higher numbers.”

Students are given the tools to succeed academically and socially through their student organizations, and the involvement enhances their overall experience.

Tae Nosaka, assistant director for the Center for Advising and Student Achievement, has been working to get students involved because the more involved they are, the more satisfied they will be.

“If they find a good balance with being involved in both academic and social aspects, they will have a more positive experience,” Nosaka said.

Some students already involved with organizations on campus are already reaping the benefits.

Krista Arcuri, a junior human development major, is a member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority and has made great connections socially, as well as academically.

“Being in Pi Phi has helped me meet people all over campus and network with them,” said Arcuri. “It has also helped me academically because I’ll have classes with Pi Phi’s and we can help each other.”

Greek life is not the only way to get involved, either. There are opportunities for students to get involved with organizations that cater to their interests.

“Being engaged could be writing for the school paper, playing intramural sports, being apart of a residence hall government or the student government,” said McKelfresh.

The Student Involvement Fair is one outlet for students to explore the different opportunities available.

Deanna Leone, program coordinator with the SLiCE office, has noticed an increase in the number of student organizations participating in the fair because it is an opportunity for them to be noticed by the CSU community.

“We offer such a wide variety of organizations,” said Leone. “There is something for everyone.”

Staff writer Ricki Dugdale can be reached at news@collegian.com.