Parking costs increase

Authors: Heidi Reitmeier

The laundry mat won’t be the only place eating quarters this year.

CSU meter parking has increased to 75 cents per hour as part of the four-year plan that will increase the cost of parking permits and fines for all students, faculty and staff.

A parking pass for a commuter CSU student has increased $41 since 2002 making the current price $111, but is proposed to rise to $125 by 2011.

Faculty and staff parking permits are $124, an increase of $29.

The amount of money students will have to put toward parking may be significant, but the extra spending is expected to prevent further parking problems in the future, officials said.

“The overall increase in fees over the next four years is contributed to adding safe, sufficient parking for the growing campus community,” said Jackie Swaro, a spokeswoman for the CSU Police Department. “Students and employees can expect above-ground parking garages and improved maintenance to existing lots.”

The parking garage, which will be located on the south side of campus, is expected to cost approximately $20 million, and construction is expected to begin in the fall of 2008. However, the costs and final timeline have not yet been finalized, Swaro said.

For some students, alternative modes of transportation – like riding the bus – can alleviate the sting of the rate increase.

Cassidy Isch, a senior sports medicine major, said he plans on riding his bicycle and paying for meter parking when he needs to drive to campus.

“It’s unfortunate to pay extra money, but compared to the national rate, we’re in a good position,” Isch said. “Paying five dollars for bike registration is better than paying for a parking permit.”

Samuel Payne, a freshman chemical engineering major, is concerned about the increasing cost of parking.

“With already paying for tuition,” Payne said, “why can’t that pay for parking?”

Rachel Beston, a junior sports medicine major, doubts she will get to use the new parking garage.

“We are paying for something we won’t ever use,” Beston said. “It’s like paying for someone else to use it.”

Funding for the parking garage has begun, but the CSU Board of Governors, the group that appropriates funds throughout the university, reported only $50,000 out of the total cost has been raised thus far.

The proposed increases in fees and parking fines, most of which have doubled, are expected to generate approximately $2.9 million per year in new revenue by 2011, said Bob Rizzuto, vice president for finance and administration.

Staff writer Heidi Reitmeier can be reached at news@collegian.com