Katie Gleeson

Major: history with a minor in business

Age: 21

Hobbies: reading, being outside with my friends, being with my family, playing with my pets when I’m back home in New Mexico, going on vacation, watching movies and scrap-booking when I get the chance (which is not often).

Q. What are your personal goals for the future?

A. I’d really like to go to law school. I don’t know what sort of law I would like to practice eventually. I just really think law school would be a great stepping stone for me. I think it would open a lot of doors. I see myself coming back to higher education at some point. I love the higher education setting, and I’m not sure how long I can leave it for.

Q.When and why did you get involved with ASCSU?

A. I actually got involved my freshman year. I got involved in the Ram Leadership Team because I was from New Mexico and I was looking for a way to get involved on campus. And some other people on my hall said, “Hey this is a great idea,” and ASCSU members came and talked to us about it, so I was just really excited about it so I thought, “I’ll apply and see what happens.”

Q. What could you never live without?

A. I couldn’t live without chocolate ice cream.

Q. What are your responsibilities as president of ASCSU?

A. What I consider my biggest responsibility is serving as a student representative to the Colorado State University System Board of Governors. Board of Governors is our ultimate deciding body. They’re the people that make the final decisions for CSU and the CSU system. I sit as a non-voting member…. Really, the voice to administration.

Q. Republican or Democrat?

A. As a student government we are nonpartisan, but I consider myself moderate.

Q. The Common concert last spring received lots of criticism because of the amount of money spent and the noise complaints. Are there any events like that planned in the future?

A. Trevor and I do not have any plans to put on a large venue concert. We see that as the Association for Student Activity Programming’s (ASAP) responsibility. They’re the entertainment sector and programming board for campus. ASCSU no longer oversees ASAP. They are now under the Lory Student Center. It’s really my belief that if somebody did want a large venue concert that ASAP would be the people to initiate that and not us.

Q. Parking fees are increasing for students. Do you support this and why?

A. Yes, I supported the decision that the board made. It was, unfortunately, a necessary evil, I think.

Q. Tuition is also increasing for students. Can you explain why this is and if/why it is a good thing?

A. As we all know, due to the limitations of the state budget, it is really hard for Colorado to give back to higher education in the way that many other states do. So, I think that in order for CSU to remain competitive and remain a good school for students in terms of student to faculty ratios and the programs that we offer, unfortunately, (I’ve said this before) It’s really unfortunate the students have to bare the brunt of these costs-the 16 percent tuition increase. I really think it is going to allow for new faculty positions, which we really need.

Q. What is your astrological sign?

A. Sagittarius

Q.What is your favorite thing about being a part of ASCSU?

A. I really think ASCSU has the ability to make change and affect change and really can be the representative of students. It’s exciting because CSU is such a diverse campus and there are so many things going on here, I feel like it is a great way to learn and see what the rest of campus is doing.

Q. Batman or Superman?

A. Batman