Jul 312007

Authors: Collegian Staff

Students were evacuated from the Lory Student Center on the CSU campus Thursday after a flash flood brought water into the building. At least one university employee reported a gas leak shortly after water entered the building.

At about 7 pm. water seeped into the basement, where building managers worked to mop up the mess and guide the flow to a drain in a nearby storage room. The LSC Theater was later flooded with at least an inch of water, one maintenance worker said. Just minutes before the building was evacuated, water made its way into the main level of the LSC.

The university’s emergency management team is currently assessing the damage caused by “mild to moderate flooding,” a CSU spokesman said. Buildings affected by the storm include the LSC, Morgan Library, Hartshorn Health Center, Engineering, Green Hall and Aylesworth Hall.

The CSU Police Department evacuated the LSC at about 8:30 p.m. after a university employee smelled a gas leak. Police have let employees and students back into the building.

Some Fort Collins residents were forced to evacuate their homes due to flood levels as high as 2 feet.

Thursday’s downpour came 10 years after Fort Collins was submerged in violent water that spilled over from Spring Creek. That flood – on July 28, 1997 – ripped apart homes, picked up cars and left five women dead.

Residents who witnessed both flash floods say Thursday’s storm was far less dangerous.

CSU officials said students and employees should report any damages to Facilities Management at 491-0099 or, if in a Residence Hall, contact Housing and Dining Services at

491-6511.

The forecast calls for continued rains over the next couple days. Visit Collegian.com for continued coverage.