Jul 312007

Authors: Collegian Staff

An incoming freshman on the CSU men’s basketball team is under investigation for theft and identity theft and has been issued an arrest warrant, according to Denver media outlets.

Stephen Franklin, a 6-foot-6 guard from Aurora Central High School, and another man allegedly stole a debit card from a women’s wallet earlier this month and used it to buy food and gas, CBS4 reported Tuesday morning. Franklin is set to attend CSU in the fall on a full-ride athletic scholarship.

The Larimer County district attorney’s office would not release the arrest warrant because the case is still under investigation and said that Franklin has yet to be informed of the warrant.

Men’s basketball coach Tim Miles issued the following statement through the university’s athletic department: “We are aware of the situation. We’re going to gather all the facts before we make any determination on Stephen’s future with Colorado State basketball.”

The possible loss of Franklin is just the latest crisis Miles as had to endure since taking over in March.

Only three scholarship players from last year’s squad remain on the roster, with that number looking more and more like two each day guard Tyler Smith does not show up to team workouts this summer.

“(Smith’s) just kind of MIA,” said center Stuart Creason of the team’s second leading scorer last season. Creason said he has seen Smith only once since May.

Creason chose not to comment on Franklin’s situation but did say he was with him on as recently as Monday.

If Franklin is ruled ineligible and Smith continues to be a no-show, Miles would be left with only eight scholarship players. Two of those eight, forward Andy Ogide from Mississippi and forward-center Dan Vandervieren from Purdue, are transfers and must sit out a year because of NCAA regulations.

Sports Editor Sean Star can be reached at news@collegian.com.