Jul 242007

Authors: Liz Sunshine

Every once in a while calamity strikes in my kitchen. I follow pretty general guidelines to ensure success but every once in a while they fail me.

For a week I have been craving strawberry shortcake so my brilliant idea was to bake a pound cake while I packed and moved (did I mention I am moving, what a mess).

I had never made a pound cake before so I did some research and the recipes are all different. I went with the Food Network personality Paula Deen’s recipe The Bag Lady’s Favorite Chocolate Pound Cake.

Since I didn’t want a chocolate pound cake I took out the cocoa powder and the only other adjustment I made was to use 2% milk instead of buttermilk because that is what I had.

Apparently that is where disaster struck. An hour after putting my golden cake batter in the oven I checked on it and it had over flowed onto the bottom of my freshly cleaned oven.

This is not so bad, I can clean again and the cake will just need a little extra coercing to come out of the bundt pan. The only reason I had checked it at one hour was because I don’t have a timer that goes for an hour and 45 minutes.

I reset the timer for another 45 minutes and put another few boxes in my car while I waited for the pound cake to finish.

After 20 minutes though I could smell the cake so I checked on it again and this is where the terrible, no-good thing happened.

The cake fell.

By fell I mean, it pretty much collapsed in on itself. This is the point of no return; the cake is officially ruined.

Katie, my trust photographer friend, was supposed to be at my apartment in 15 minutes so I had to improvise.

I had bought the strawberries earlier in the week and had made whipped cream (pretty easy just heavy whipping cream and a little powdered sugar beaten until it has soft peaks) so I ran to the grocery store.

My local store always has some form of pound cake (either frozen or fresh). Lucky for me, this week they had both so I picked up a fresh one and came home put together a replacement for my fallen mess.

With what I had I made strawberry shortcake parfaits, just layering all of my ingredients so they looked pretty.

I was layering as Katie showed up and I showed her what had been going on, she didn’t really care that the cake had fallen and picked a piece out of the pan to taste. According to her it tasted pretty good (I didn’t try it with the whole uncooked center situation).

The last minute parfaits tasted good and would have worked fine in a pinch for a dinner party dessert, but I still want to be able to make my own pound cake.

Next week I will be in a fully stocked and arranged kitchen again and hopefully that will improve my chances.

L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (to life and eat well).

Recipe:

Paula Deen’s The Bag Lady’s Favorite Chocolate Pound Cake

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons cocoa

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

1/2 cup vegetable shortening

3 cups sugar

5 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Special equipment: 10-inch bundt pan

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa and set aside. Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and mix well after each addition.

Add flour and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until cake is done.

Remove from oven and allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto cake plate and serve.