Jul 172007

Authors: Nikki Cristello

Muggles and magical folk alike are expected to rush bookstores when the clock strikes midnight, July 21, to discover the close of J.K. Rowling’s “Harry Potter” series.

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” is the long awaited close to the series, and is rumored to be the darkest yet.

Potter fans across the globe can only guess the book’s outcome. And they are.

Jessica Morris, 30, is a textbook assistant in the CSU Bookstore and Potter follower, anxiously awaiting the release of the book. For her, the final book of the series is”bittersweet.”

“I am excited [for book seven], but it is the last one, so I am sad,” Morris said.

Morris started reading the Potter series in 2000 while studying abroad. And she “absolutely” owns the other six books.

Web sites, like Rowling’s own JKRowling.com, ask readers not to spoil the book before others have a chance to uncover the lingering mysteries.

And other non-official fan sites, like The-leaky-cauldron.org, have established “Spoiler Policies.”

Leaky’s policy is strict: “Here it is, a refresher on Leaky’s spoiler policy: Ahem. DON’T DO IT. Sending us spoilers will get you one place, bucko: sent to Scholastic, Christopher Little, Bloomsbury, and every JoLawyer we can think of. We don’t want to see them, we won’t post them, and we’d want to stop you.”

Morris said she, like others, would read the book even if people decide to post the outcome before the release, or before people have a chance to read it.

“People will still read the book either way,” she said. “The journey is more important than the destination.”

However, not wanting to spoil the book does not stop speculation.

“I think the most absurd rumor I’ve heard is that after everything, people still think Harry and Hermione are going to get together,” Morris said. “It’s obviously going to be Hermione and Ron.”

Morris doesn’t think we’ll see Dumbledore again. Well, she doesn’t think we will see him alive again.

“Maybe Harry will go into Dumbledore’s pensieve, and we will probably see him in his portrait, but I am pretty sure he is dead,” Morris said.

Morris said she thinks Harry and Lord Voldemort will be the two characters to meet their demise.

But avid readers will remember the prophecy that catapulted Harry into battles with the Dark Lord: “One cannot live while the other survives.”

Last Wednesday, Morris waited in line to see “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” with a group of friends for more than two hours at the Cinemark theaters in Fort Collins.

Despite the film’s mediocre reviews, Morris said the movie was well worth the wait.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix debuted on film July 11 and reportedly raked in $77.4 million just over the weekend. The film, released last Wednesday, has taken in over $140 million in the US, and over $190 million in 44 other counties.

Amazon.com revealed nearly 1.2 million copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows have been ordered at the site and nearly 2 million copies worldwide. Amazon offers special delivery on the July 21 release date at no additional cost to those that select standard shipping.

The Barnes and Noble at 4045 S. College Ave will be throwing a party to celebrate the book’s release Friday. There will be a costume party, a jellybean-guessing contest, in honor of “Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans,” and more.

The store closes at 11 p.m,. and the line, if not already formed, will begin. At midnight the store re-opens until everyone in the line is served, while supplies last.

The CSU Bookstore will host a Harry Potter-themed party Saturday. The event is free and open to the public. It starts at 9:00 a.m. by transporting guests to Hogwart’s Castle. Visitors will receive a Marauder’s Map to help navigate through the dungeon, classroom and Gryffindor common room. There will be contests, games, treats and prizes.

Friday night, Morris says she will be wearing a homemade t-shirt in line at Barnes and Noble to make her series complete and anticipates reading the entire book by Saturday afternoon.

“We were thinking about a gravestone on the back (of the shirt),” she said. “Not just because Harry might die, but as a goodbye to the series.”

Staff writer Nikki Cristello can be reached at news@collegian.com.