Kudos, Kefalas; no kidding

Jul 102007

It’s been a long-standing joke among those critical of American politics: The legislative session. It’s the only time our elected leaders at least pretend to get stuff done.

But whereas most who hold office scatter in the off-season to many and varying unimportant destinations, those who are genuine enough to stick with the people they represent stand out.

And freshman State Rep. John Kefalas (D-Fort Collins) certainly stands out.

It’s not just that he’s the little guy’s little guy (he’s only 5 feet 6 inches tall), or that he takes the time to visit campus frequently, or even that he takes a phone call from the Collegian in the wee hours of the night.

He stands out because he is legitimately a neighbor and friend of Fort Collins. Seriously, he lives a few blocks from campus.

Say what you will about his views and agendas. The point is, we have a representative who hasn’t lost touch with voters, at least not yet.

Recently, Kefalas has been taking advantage of the legislative recess and going door-to-door talking with his constituents. And it’s not entirely about votes, as they’re already his constituents. For him, it seems to be a nobler cause.

It’s often hard to believe there are still some politicians who aren’t the power-mongering riff raff we see on CNN and the like. Sure, he’s only a state representative, but it’s important to remember that most of what affects us as citizens stems from state-level politics.

Perhaps, one day, the big wigs in Washington and beyond can take a note from John Kefalas. Voters like a genuine conversation and a visit every now an then.