Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

In CSU’s proud athletic history, golf is a sport that has in many cases hung under the radar. But recently one athlete has started to change that. And that is why sophomore Zen Brown is taking home the Moby for the Most Underrated Athlete.

Brown began playing golf when he was five years old, hitting balls with his father and has been hooked on the game since.

“I like the individuality of the sport,” the natural resources major said. “It is the challenge of the game, being outside and the challenge of beating the golf course.”

Men’s Golf Coach Jamie Bermel says Brown’s best attribute is his consistency.

“He is real solid,” Bermel said. “He doesn’t do anything particularly great, but he is just real solid. Whatever the course conditions are, he can handle it.”

So far this year, Brown has finished in the top 10 five times and in the top 20 nine of his past 12 tournaments. His solid play was rewarded with a spot on the Mountain West’s all-conference team.

Bermel reflected on what has given Brown such success, especially his mentality.

“He hits the ball pretty well, drives it straight and has a good short game,” the seventh-year coach said. “He doesn’t get to upset or excited, but stays real steady.”

Brown is modest about his success and said he thinks golf at CSU is gaining popularity.

“I think it is getting a following here,” he said. “People know about me, but golf in general is gaining popularity.”

Although Brown says his dream is to play in PGA, he says he is focusing on the immediate future for the time being.

“Next year I want to keep moving up the college rankings and even make the All-American team,” he said.

If Brown can work on a few key things, Bermel said he thinks the sophomore can go the distance.

“The sky is the limit for him,” Bermel said. “He needs to learn how to win, get better at putting and maybe even a little more mentally tough. It is really up to him how good he wants to be.”