Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Goalies have set the tone for the Colorado Eagles in the playoffs so far. It was no different Wednesday night.

Colorado rookie goalie Tim Boron shut out the Memphis RiverKings in Memphis, Tenn., helping the Eagles cruise to a 3-0 win and a 2-1 series lead in their Northern Conference Finals match up.

Boron was perfect, blocking 33 of 33 Memphis shots en route to his second straight playoff victory.

Eagles left wing Ryan Tobler put the game completely out of the RiverKings’ reach, scoring an empty-net goal with just over one minute left in the game – his eighth goal of the playoffs.

The Eagles got off to a quick start Wednesday, as center Steve Haddon scored the game-winning goal 13 minutes into the first period.

Eighty-eight seconds later, Colorado defenseman Frasier Filipic put a shot past Memphis goalie Larry Sterling to give the Eagles a 2-0 lead.

In the previous two games of the series, Colorado had only scored one goal in the first period of play.

With Wednesday’s shutout, his second of the playoffs, Boron has now gone 98 minutes consecutively without letting a puck pass him and has won three of the four games he has started.

Boron took over as the Eagles’ starter on April 29, replacing three-year pro Marco Emond who had been Colorado’s head goalie most of the season. Before being replaced, Emond posted a .927 save percentage during the playoffs. Boron is currently averaging a .962 save percentage, which leads the Central Hockey League.

The Eagles now have an opportunity to close out the series this weekend. The RiverKings are scheduled to host Colorado in back-to-back games Friday and Saturday night at the De Soto Civics Center in Memphis. Colorado has yet to close out a playoff series on the road, failing in three previous opportunities this season.

The winner of this series will move on to play the winner of the Southern Conference Finals series between the Laredo Bucks and the New Mexico Scorpions. Laredo currently leads the series 2-0.

The puck drops on game four of Colorado’s series tonight at 6:05 p.m. Coverage can be heard on 107.9 The Bear.

Eagles beat writer Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.