Cinco de Mayo

Authors: Nick Scheidies

Before you throw your caps in the air on graduation day, show your mom how much you really love her on Mother’s Day, or – well – memorialize things on Memorial Day, it’s time to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.

In the spirit of that victory, CSU and the Fort Collins community are coming together to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in a big way this year, with five major events over the weekend.

It starts this Friday at the Lory Student Center Plaza, where “Fiesta Colorado State University” will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. There you can wind down on your last official day of classes with a variety of Mexican food, drinks, music and more.

Next on the list of festivities is the Cinco-Cinco 5K Run/Walk, which begins at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday. The race promises to be a lot of fun, with live entertainment and prizes for those who compete. For more information, visit the Web site http://cincocinco.colostate.edu.

After the race, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., the city of Fort Collins is holding a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta in Old Town Square. This event will feature several local Latin bands, dance troupes, and even a fashion show. But according to event organizer Debra Bueno, this fiesta is more than just a handful of entertaining activities, it’s also “a great way for people of all cultures to come share in the diversity of the Hispanic culture.”

The same could be said of the Grand Dance that will occur that same night, which will be held at The Yukon (5400 Garfield, off of Highway 287) from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tickets are $10 presale. This is an opportunity to cap off your Cinco de Mayo celebration with Mexican dance and music.

The celebrating continues into Sunday, with the Dia de La Familia. Once again, the city of Fort Collins is leading the festivities at the Old Town Square. This time the event starts at noon and ends at 6:30 p.m. There will be Mexican food, Mariachi bands, dance groups, and a talent show.

Assistant Director of El Centro Rich Salas sees community-building potential in these Cinco de Mayo celebrations. “It’s really for everyone to come together and enjoy these festivities.”

Staff writer Nick Scheidies can be reached at verve@collegian.com.