I Was Right

Authors: Nick Hemenway

There are times, on rare occasion, that it is not good to be right, and that time is now. Earlier this semester in the piece “Turning Their Backs” I spoke about how the Democrats have passed the point of no return in their anti-war political rhetoric, and are in fact invested in defeat. Unfortunately for us, and especially our troops, I hit the nail on the head.

In order to make his party’s stance clear to the country, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-NV, said on Capitol Hill April 19 “this war is lost” (AP).

He should send that in the form of a letter to every one of our troops in Iraq. Our military has not retreated. They have not surrendered. The United States is committed to a free and stable Iraq, no matter what Harry Reid says.

Just as a point of interest, the U.S. Constitution defines treason in Article III Section III as providing aid and comfort to the enemy in a time of war. Maybe it’s just me, but I bet our enemies take comfort in one of our most powerful politicians declaring their victory.

As if that wasn’t enough, Reid continued to dig a hole for himself in another statement to the press on Capitol Hill. Backpedaling faster than Champ Bailey, he proclaimed that “By ordering his troop surge, [the President] ignored the advice of the Iraq Study Group” (whitehouse.gov). Wrong again I am afraid.

Reading from the Iraq Study Group Report, “We could, however, support a short-term redeployment or surge of American combat forces to stabilize Baghdad, or to speed up the training and equipping mission, if the U.S. commander in Iraq determines that such steps would be effective.” Ironically, this is exactly what Bush has put into action, as suggested by the U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. Petraeus.

One step further, the co-chair of the Iraq Study Group, James Baker, said earlier this month that “setting a deadline for withdrawal regardless of conditions in Iraq makes even less sense today because there is evidence that the temporary surge is reducing the level of violence in Baghdad. As Baghdad goes, so goes Iraq” (Washington Post).

For weeks now, Harry Reid and the Democrats have been withholding funding from our troops, by placing artificial timelines in the supplemental funding bill. When Bush finally gets the chance to veto this bill, it is imperative that congress quickly passes a new clean bill, so that our troops will have the equipment they need.

This past Saturday, it was reported that if the desperately-needed money does not get to the troops soon, some of the new armored vehicles they ordered on the suggestion of congress may not get to them in time (AP).

It doesn’t get much clearer than this. Democrats must put aside the politics or risk putting our soldiers in additional danger.

On a final note, this is most likely my last column for the semester. I want to thank all of you for reading. Hopefully you have learned something from my crazy ramblings throughout the school year. I have been greatly encouraged by the debates that have resulted, whether they were in print, through the Web site, or in person.

But have no fear, this is not the last time you will hear from me. Just like many of my fellow Mechanical Engineers, I am squeezing four years of education into five school years. Therefore, I have the distinct honor of continuing with the Collegian as I make my victory lap around CSU next year.

Until then, enjoy your summer.

Nick Hemenway is a senior mechanical engineering major. His column appears every Tuesday in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.