Authors: Emily Polak

Hui O Hawai’i, CSU’s Hawaii Club, will host its annual Luau in the spirit of aloha on Sunday at 5 p.m.

The Luau is designed to bring together Hawaiians in Fort Collins and educate the community about Hawaiian culture.

“We try to transform the ballroom to look and feel like home,” said Hawaii club president Kelci Paiva who is from the Big Island of Hawaii.

The Luau will feature Hawaiian food including Kailua pork, poi, lomi lomi salmon and sweet bread, all prepared by members of Hui O Hawai’i. There will be traditional and modern hula shows displaying the talent of CSU students and community members.

“It’s as authentic as it can get in Colorado,” Paiva said. “We want to educate the CSU and Fort Collins community about the heart of Hawaiian culture and spread the aloha spirit.”

Preparations for the big night have brought the Hawaiian community together, Amy Del Castillo, a Maui native and co-chair of the Luau said as she unpacked boxes of Hawaiian snacks. Many members of the Hawaii club had their parents send traditional Hawaiian goods to be sold at a “country store” during the Luau.

It is not just CSU students who are getting involved in the Luau.

Del Castillo talked about young girls from the community were in the club office sewing costumes and excitedly getting ready for their dance performance this week.

“It’s a really nice night and it brings a sense of community,” Del Castillo said.

Tickets for the Luau can be purchased for $19 at the campus box office.

Staff writer Emily Polak can be reached at news@collegian.com