Blazers force game seven

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Sean Connors has meant the world to the Oklahoma City Blazers so far in their second round playoff series. It was no different Monday night.

Connors led the Blazers to their second consecutive victory over the Colorado Eagles, evening the seven game series up at three games a piece.

Connors, a fourth year goalie, gave a spectacular performance, shutting out the Eagles while blocking 25 of 25 shots.

Defenseman AJ MacLean provided the knockout blow to Colorado, scoring a goal 6:53 into the third period and helping Oklahoma City earn a 3-0 win.

Both teams were held scoreless in the first, but a multi-goal second period gave the Blazers all the offence they would need to force a game seven.

Defenseman Joe Dustin scored the game-winning goal midway through the second on a power play. Center Garrett Prosofsky added a somewhat controversial score eight minutes later to put Oklahoma City up 2-0.

Rookie goalie Tim Boron received his first ever playoff loss while blocking 19 of 22 shots for the Eagles. In his last start on Saturday, April 14, Boron shutout the Blazers.

With the win, Connors improves his playoff record this season to 6-2. In the current series, Connors has defeated the Eagles in three out of four games and has given up an anemic 1.75 goals per game.

The series will now be decided in game seven Wednesday night.

The only other game seven the Eagles have ever played in came last season during the Northern Conference Semi Finals against the Blazers. In that game, Colorado defeated Oklahoma City 6-2.

The winner of this series will move on to face the Memphis River Kings who defeated the Bossier Shreveport Mudbugs in a Northern Conference Semi Final match up of their own. Memphis needed only five games to eliminate the Mudbugs.

The Eagles have home ice advantage going into game seven as the series will wrap up at the Budweiser Event Center. The puck drops 7:05 p.m. Wednesday night.

Eagles beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com