Authors: Emily Polak

Residents filed more than 100 noise complaints about last week’s Common concert at CSU, prompting a letter of apology to the mayor and those who complained.

“It was very positive and very encouraging that they (ASCSU) apologized,” said Darin Atteberry, city manager.

Complaints from community members started during the concert, said Mari Strombom, director of Student Involvement and Activities. Most came from neighborhoods southwest of campus as far as Drake Road and Shields Street.

The volume was turned down for the remainder of the show, which ended at 9:55 p.m. instead of the scheduled 9:30 p.m.

“The university is a part of the community,” Strombom said. “It is important that we are good neighbors.”

Strombom and ASCSU president Jason Green sent a letter of apology to the mayor, city manager and Fort Collins residents who complained, expressing their regret for causing a disturbance and their desire to be a positive part of the community.

“We wanted to address it because obviously we want to be considerate of the whole community,” Green said.

Atteberry said the university works positively with the city and that he was happy to see ASCSU cooperative and apologetic.

“It’s an anomaly that we have a problem with the university,” he said.

A University Special Events Advisory Group meeting is planned for Tuesday evening to address problems encountered at this show and make recommendations for the future.

Green said potential improvements could include decibel meters in neighborhoods and more warning for the community about outdoor concerts.

“We thought we did a good job but we need to do more to make sure that we aren’t disturbing Fort Collins residents,” Green said.

He added that CSU’s relationship with the Fort Collins community has been positive this year and he hopes it will continue to improve in the future.

“We want people to understand that we are sorry and not think that we are blowing them off,” Green said.

Staff writer Emily Polak can be reached at news@collegian.com.