Authors: Brandon Owens

After the dominating 6-2 victory on Wednesday night, the Colorado Eagles hope to finish off the Oklahoma City Blazers tonight in game five of the Northern Conference Semifinals at Budweiser Events Center.

The Eagles have outscored their opponents 13-3 in the last three games. Head Coach Chris Stewart gave a lot of credit to his goalies for the Eagles three-game winning streak.

“Marco Emond and Tim Boron have really cut the life of this series and shut down Oklahoma City,” he said. “I think that’s fairly deflating for the other team and certainly a boost for us when you see a big save like that, then go down to the other end and score.”

Emond saved 29 of 31 shots on goal to improve his playoff record to 5-2 on Wednesday night. Boron made 31 saves and shut down the Blazers completely in the 4-0 win last Saturday.

Captain and right wing Greg Pankewicz has also had a major impact on the series. Pankewicz has scored three goals and has six assists already in the first four games against Oklahoma City.

Colorado continues to sell out every game and currently has the second highest fan attendance in the playoffs. They increased their home playoff record to 15-5. They’ve scored at least six points in four out of the last five home games at the BEC.

Eagles center Ed McGrane is another big reason for the Eagles success. McGrane has scored in every game, bringing his playoff game-scoring steak to 10. He is currently tied with Brent Kelly from Arizona as the CHL playoff-scoring leader, with 11 assists and six goals.

A victory tonight would put the Eagles in their third straight Northern Conference Finals. Colorado won the Ray Miron President’s Cup two years ago. However, they lost last year in the NCF to the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs.

Stewart says that they need to continue to play aggressively.

“We’ve been very aggressive,” he said. “We haven’t given them a lot of time and space to create good plays or get lots of shots on net. When they have gotten lots of shots on net, we’ve been really stout on clearing the loose pucks.”

The Eagles just hope to keep the momentum going into tonight’s game.

“We have to stick to our system and continue to play the games that we’ve been playing,” Stewart said.

Eagles beat reporter Brandon Owens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.