Officials evacuated a wing of Edward Hall early Wednesday when a wanted man climbed to the roof of the three-story building and held police at bay for hours, threatening to jump.

Charles Holland, a 33-year-old Fort Collins resident, had scaled the outside walls of the residence hall but did not go inside, said CSU spokesman Brad Bohlander. Holland was not a CSU student.

At 4:04 a.m., a student called police, reporting he or she heard someone on the roof, according to a statement released by CSU Police Department Chief Dexter Yarbrough.

Police arrived two minutes later and the man threatened to jump, the statement said. By 4:11 a.m., police had cornered the man on the northwest wing of the building. They determined the man was not armed with any sort of weapon or explosive, but evacuated the wing as a precaution.

Holland was arrested at 6:14 a.m. and booked on charges of 2nd degree criminal trespass; he also had outstanding warrants for violation of bond conditions, violations for order of protection and domestic violence, according to Yarbrough’s statement.

His criminal history included kidnapping, robbery, aggravated assault, harassment, burglary and felony menacing, the statement said.

Yarbrough praised the 911 caller for taking decisive action.

“This student’s actions are exactly what police rely on to help protect our campus community,” Yarbrough’s statement said. “It is important for everyone in our community to take initiative in reporting anything that seems out of the ordinary or suspicious to police. We all play a role in campus safety.”

The Collegian news staff can be reached at news@collegian.com.