Authors: Rebecca Howard

The first annual Run for the Red will be held this weekend at the Oval to raise awareness about HIV.

The event is being held as part of Transgender, Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Awareness Days. The theme of TBGLAD this year is “faces among us,” which emphasizes the impact that issues such as HIV have on the local community.

DJ Lawrence, a senior restaurant and resort management major and co-chairperson for TBGLAD, said that the most important part of the event is to raise awareness about HIV on a local perspective.

“Most people think about (HIV) on a global scale,” he said. “They don’t think about it being a local issue, but it is. We just really wanted to increase some of the awareness of HIV in the local community.”

Clare Jensen, senior psychology major and co-chair for TBGLAD, agreed.

“We are trying to dispel those beliefs and educate people and bring people together to raise money and raise awareness,” Jensen said.

The event, co-sponsored by GLBT Student Services and ASCSU, will give a portion of the proceeds to the Northern Colorado Aids Project to provide services for individuals who are HIV positive.

“It’s an important event because (NCAP) is an amazing resource for people,” Jensen said.

The five-kilometer walk/run will take place on Saturday morning at the Oval. Registration for those who have not already signed up will start at 7 a.m. The first 100 people to register will receive T-shirts.

Special guest Robert Foley, CSU alumnus and Capacity Building Assistance Provider for the National Native American Aids Prevention Center, will open the event.

According to Lawrence, over 50 people have already registered, and more are expected the day of the run.

Overall, Lawrence hopes the event will send the message to people who have HIV that “we are here for (them) and we are not here to discriminate.”

Staff writer Rebecca Howard can be reached at news@collegian.com.

…………………………………….

What: Run for the Red walk/run

When: Sat. April 14

Where: The Oval

Registration: 7 a.m.

Cost: $20

-Special Guest opens the run at 7:45 a.m.