Authors: Grant Meech

The University of California at San Diego came to Fort Collins on Thursday but they forgot to bring that California weather with them. But for the men’s lacrosse team, they wouldn’t need it as they trounced the Tritons, 17-4.

It took the Rams just 52 seconds to get on the board when midfielder Ryan MacDonald beat the UCSD goalie. The Rams poured it on the Tritons and would not relinquish the lead, ending the first quarter 6-0.

The second quarter would see UCSD get on the board when attackman Eric Price beat CSU’s goalie Garrett Fitzgerald for their only goal of the first half.

This game marked the return of Fitzgerald after having surgery right before the first game.

“It felt good to be back,” said Fitzgerald who made six saves on the day. “I was surprised myself, but when you love it so much it’s easy to get back in it.”

CSU kept the offense going until halftime, pumping in three more goals before the whistle, ending the first half with a commanding, 9-1.

The second half was much the same as the first, with a flurry of goals from the offense and two surprising goals from defenseman Adam Schnirel, and three goals apiece from three different attackman.

“We knew we were better,” said Head Coach Flip Naumburg. “We kind of dominated the game and the team’s really happy with the win.”

The Rams would put up five more goals and UCSD would find the net twice, to end the third, 14-3.

The wind picked up before the fourth quarter and snow flurries began to fall again, as the faithful crowd stayed and cheered despite the nasty weather.

Naumburg said after Tuesday’s game against University of California at Santa Barbara, that the number one goal for the game against UCSD was to get a lot of player rotation and give some playing time to younger players.

Fitzgerald came out of the game and freshman Alex Jacques replaced him in the goal. He made two saves and had one goal against in his fifteen minutes on the field. The fresh Rams subbed in the second half would score two more before the final whistle blew.

This is CSU’s second game in a three game series against California teams this week, concluding with a game against Chapman University, Saturday at 1 p.m.

Men’s lacrosse beat writer Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com.