Authors: Christopher Poirier Jr.

Mr. Sides, I find your articles on global warming to be lacking in both logic and factual evidence. However, you’re entitled to your opinion. But since there are so many scientists and so much factual evidence stacked against you, I implore you and your cohorts to take a different approach to the issue: “Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.” Besides, many actions that you and your readers can take to slow carbon emissions are painless and even beneficial. Anything you do to reduce electricity consumption at your house not only slows the release of carbon dioxide, but also saves you money and reduces the amount of coal-based pollutants entering the air, such as the mercury that has found its way into our local fish or the sulfur dioxide that causes acid rain back east. Compact fluorescent light bulbs use less energy and last longer than their incandescent counterparts. Vehicles that get good gas mileage save you money at the pump, reduce our dependence on foreign oil, and contribute less to smog. Bicycling or walking when possible saves on gas and improves your health!

No one is asking you to live a meager existence. So please, cease with your misinformation campaign that confuses people into inaction. Global warming is a real problem. But even if you think it really is a global socialist conspiracy, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain by confronting it.

Christopher Poirier Jr.

Junior Political Science major