Authors: Nick Hubel

They say that revenge is a dish best served cold.

If that’s the case then the women’s basketball team will certainly be ready for retribution this weekend. As temperatures continue to fall and Colorado skates into December, the Rams will be taking on Denver on Sunday within the comfy, climate-controlled confines of Moby Arena.

Last year the Pioneers beat CSU 77-58 in an early match-up down in Denver. This CSU (2-4) heads into Sunday’s match up on a two game skid, having lost to Western Carolina in the Coors Rocky Mountain Invitational last weekend and to rival Colorado-Boulder in a midweek game Wednesday.

The Rams will be led by freshman Kelly Jo Mullaney, the leading scorer on the team. In six games she has notched 27 rebounds and is averaging 19 points per game.

CSU’s guard talent doesn’t end with Mullaney. Seniors Sara Hunter and Molly Nohr are each averaging just over 15 points per game this season. Hunter also leads the team with 11 three pointers this season and Nohr averages more than seven boards.

In Wednesday’s loss to the Buffaloes, Mullaney, Hunter, and Nohr combined to score 34 of the Rams 51 points.

Denver (2-2) is coming off a convincing 60-31 win over Sacramento State last weekend at the Hawaiian Airlines Rainbow Wahine Classic. The Pioneers finished the tournament in 7th place.

The Pioneers have returned four starters and a total of 10 players from last year’s team that finished 15-13. They are led by senior guard Teysha Lowery and junior guard Brooke Meyer, who are averaging a combined 19 points per game. Lowery also recorded 62 steals during the 2005-06 season.

The game is the second in a three game series of in-state opponents for the Rams. They will play Northern Colorado next Wednesday in Greeley.

Tip off is set for 2 p.m. Sunday afternoon in Moby Arena.

Women’s basketball beat writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.