Authors: Emily Lance

Within the dimly lit ballroom, tables stood, decorated for winter holidays.

A slide projector displayed facts about Habitat for Humanity as well as pictures depicting the essence of winter as people entered the ballroom.

This was the scene of the Home for the Holidays: Habitat for Humanity Benefit Ball – an event to help give homes to needy families.

Facebook invitations brought many of the more than 100 dancers to the ball. Others had simply heard from their ties to Greek Life, like Whitney Pleasant, National Panhellenic Council president.

Pleasant anticipates this dance to begin a trend in the social events of the university.

“If it has a theme, like the Habitat for Humanity ball, I can see more in the future,” she said.

Many attended for the social interaction, sitting at the candlelit tables talking and enjoying the hot chocolate and cookies provided. Others took to the floor immediately, not willing to waste a minute of Beyonce’s “Crazy in Love.”

“Zuit Suit Riot” began to play over the speakers, which ignited a few swingers willing to try their hand at twists and turns.

As the official deejay, Andrew Kueen, senior music major and member of Psi Mu Alpha, looked forward to supplying the essence of every move and groove throughout the night. He planned on turning out every track from any artist, “as long as they stay on the dance floor,” he said.

Although the event’s major advertising slogan was “Are you nostalgic for those high school dances,” Mark Spring, sophomore restaurant resort management major, held this dance on another level.

“Too much fun for high school,” Spring said.

Kueen along with other event organizers dressed in their formal wardrobes, with black tuxedos and elegant dresses for the “Home for the Holidays: Habitat for Humanity Benefit Ball.”

All proceeds of the event will be going toward funding the construction of a home for a local Fort Collins family. Habitat for Humanity, in association with Greek Life, is raising the funds to give a home to a local family from Bosnia: Davor, Jasmina and Aida Strikic.

Emily Lance can be reached at news@collegian.com.