Authors: Anne Farrell

Even the most mundane classes can be made interesting by a devoted professor.

For this reason, the Alumni Association and Student Alumni Connection Leadership Council host the “Best Teacher Awards” each year, giving students and alumni the opportunity to recognize the faculty who have made the largest impact on their education.

“I think that there’s not a lot of opportunities for faculty to be recognized by students for what they do inside the classroom,” said Lindsay Sell, coordinator of student programs for the Alumni Association.

From a nomination pool of nearly 200, six professors are chosen for making a difference in the lives of students, demonstrating excellence in teaching and showing commitment to CSU. Recipients may only receive the award once, and future nominations are disqualified.

“(The winner) would have to be interesting and about to make class fun,” said Kristin Eide, a junior biology major.

Nominations may be submitted online at www.csualum.com and will be accepted until Dec. 8. A board of members from both alumni associations will review the nominations.

If she had her pick, Sarah Phelan said she would nominate Norman Dalsted, an economics professor.

“He’s not there to because he has to be, he’s there to ask questions,” the freshman equine science major said. “Even though the class has 200 students I don’t feel like I’m one of 200.”

Winners of the Best Teacher Award for 2007 will be formally announced at the award ceremony in February, where nominees and winners alike are honored for their contributions to students.

Staff writer Anne Farrell can be reached at news@collegian.com.

____________________________________________

2006 Best Teacher Award winners:

Dr. Whitney Cranshaw, Bioagricultural Sciences and Pest Management

Dr. Nathalie Kees, School of Education

Deanna Ludwin, English

Dr. Marvin Paule, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Dr. Dimitris Stevis, Political Science

Dr. Don Zimmerman, Journalism and Technical Communication.

Nominations for the 2007 award may be submitted online at www.csualum.com and will be accepted until Dec. 8.