Authors: Aaron Bell

Although it’s fiction, CSU undergrad Grant Williams says his first published book, about the life of a man who exists in both reality and a fantasy world in his mind, is partly autobiographical.

But, in a recent interview with the Collegian, Williams certainly makes several statements that would leave some people wondering.

Williams asked to be described as the new young author who arrived for the interview drunk and wearing an eye patch. In reality, the senior speech communications major showed up at a table next to Carl’s Jr. in the Lory Student Center wearing jeans and white T-shirt, looking like an average college senior.

Yet, the character in Williams’ book, “Spaceman,” is anything but normal. In fact, to describe the main character or the plot, is quite difficult.

According to AuthorHouse Book Publishing Company, the publisher of the just-released book, this is the most efficient summary of a plot line that is tricky to describe:

“Throughout most of his life, David Ford had lived in places his mind had created, while simply existing in the real world. He tried desperately to combine the two, and create a life with which he could live. But his mind began to cave in on him, and things that happened in his own world began to foreshadow events that would happen in his real life. Events that would lead to his end,” according to the Web site.

Williams’ explanation of the book was simpler.

“It’s about a crazy guy doing crazy things,” says Williams. “He’s got his own life in the real world, and a completely different life in his head.”

Williams says that “Spaceman” is not science-fiction in spite of the title, though he didn’t place the book into any other genre.

Williams says that the story is mostly funny.

“You’ll laugh and you won’t regret reading it,” he says.

Williams found time to write “Spaceman” while studying full time at CSU and working 30 hours per week at the Hilton Hotel across the street from campus.

In spite of the challenges, Williams says that holding the book that he wrote in his hands was worth the effort.

While many professors and faculty members have books in the bookstore, few undergrad students have been published.

“I don’t think that’s very common,” said Fran Wilson, administrative assistant at the CSU Bookstore, of Williams’s book. “It’s a big deal in my opinion.”

Staff writer Aaron Bell can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

_____________________________________

The book costs $13.40 on the publisher’s Web site, authorhouse.com.

“Spaceman” is available in the CSU Bookstore. It is also available online at amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com and authorhouse.com.