To the Editor:

Where’s the love for the swim team?

I’m not sure if you realize we have a swim team here at CSU, and that we are currently undefeated in our season. The very same weekend that the football team lost miserably to Wyoming, we crushed the Cowgirls in a swim meet, but the Collegian decided to fill the entire back page up on how we scored ZERO points against Wyoming and not even mention how the swim team beat them. Maybe next time you should try and focus on CSU’s strengths, NOT our weaknesses.

Brette Winegarner

junior

human development and family studies

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Thanks for the ‘Green Machine’ coverage

I know many times the Collegian has received criticism for not having this story or that story. Or there have been times you have been criticized for having a certain story in the paper. I wanted to take the time and say “thank you.”

Thank you for having articles in the Collegian about the Green Machine. The Student Alumni Connection is on a quest to improve the attendance at our athletic events. It may not be easy, but it is possible!

Having articles remind students about the new section is much appreciated. Thank you to all the students who attended the volleyball game. We may have not broken the record, but our rivals up north felt our presence. To all the staff and volunteers at the Collegian, THANK YOU.

Mike Van Houten

sophomore

information systems

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Dudley is not representative of all males

In response to Mr. Dudley’s article on dating, I am not going to even attempt to tackle the way with which the article was printed grammatically. I’m a science major. Sad that I am offended by it.

First off. I must commend you on your use of such an extensive vocabulary. Coitus! Well done, sir! No wander why people think chivalry is dead! The use of a term that many people must look up to find its true meaning completely masks the candor of you speech. Well done! With such extensive vocabulary, I would think you could appease a high school girl looking for love in all the wrong places!

Coitus (or intercourse, whichever you prefer), is not the goal of chivalry. Chivalry (associated with the “nice guy analogy according to Mr. Dudley) asks nothing in return for acts of virtuosity. Chivalry serves and ends it with the act. It is true and good. Anyone that says it is dead is a person that serves with ulterior motives. Looking for a thank you is enough to deem selfish when speaking of chivalry. Don’t pretend to know the nature of the legacy by saying it is dead and gone. “Managed to sound like a complete jerk” completely sums it up. Men, as a whole, look for things like Mr. Dudley. “Coitus” is what men look for. Point being: men like this give us a terrible name, and I stand against it. Chivalry and proper, appreciative treatment exists in the male race, though rare it may seem. Some men actually live by a code of excellence in their lives. I urge all to see this in the few that remain. My only “hesitance” is the women who continually put up with and support those that do not do justice to what can be.

Ben Ubl

junior

microbiology

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Collegian biased?

Editor’s note: This letter was sent last week, before the Collegian published Monday’s feature on Bob Beauprez.

Like any typical day, I like to enjoy a good read before class, and my choice is always the Collegian. Not just for the Sudoku puzzle or to read Ram Talk hoping to get a new Chuck Norris joke, but I more often than not read the Collegian front to back and save those wonderful puzzles for class itself.

But lately I have become angry with the paper. Everything is Bill

Ritter this, Bill Ritter that, one can’t but wonder: Is our paper turning into Fox News (a major one-sided news station) or is my imagination running rampant? So, I find myself neither a Democrat nor a Republican but have voted both Democrat and Republican in the past.

I am currently in John Straayer’s state and local government class and was there to witness Bill Ritter speak to our class. Not many people know that a week before this visit from Ritter, Republican candidate Bob Beauprez was also there to speak to the class. Not many people knew because Beauprez did not get the coverage by the Collegian that Bill Ritter received.

I thought I was going crazy so I asked Henry Howard, a business major here at CSU, what he thought. He said he not only does the puzzle, but is an avid reader of the Collegian articles as well. “I have not read or noticed anything on Bob Beauprez in this week’s or prior weeks’ papers, but have read an awful lot on Bill Ritter,” Howard said.

Also, when asked if he knew that Beuaprez came to CSU a week ago he responded, “I had no idea that he came.”

So here is my dilemma: For many students, the Collegian is their only news source. If the Collegian chooses to highlight one candidate and none of the other candidates, even third-party candidates, how are the students supposed to hear both sides of the issues?

It’s not just Bill Ritter, but even third party candidate, Paul Fiorino, got more press than the others. If Ryan Chapman was still writing his Wednesday column, I know he would have said something about this so I wouldn’t have to. I guess for the Collegian to recognize you, you had to have gone here (Ritter) or taught here (Fiorino) to be paper-worthy.

Matt Myslivy

open-option

freshman