“Let’s Keep it Grand”

Authors: Nick Hemenway

This is the last conversation that we will have before next week’s elections. Only one more week until I can watch “Jeopardy” without seeing ten thousand political ads. Yeah that’s right, I watch “Jeopardy.”

Regardless of which party wins Tuesday, our country’s path toward the future will inevitably change. We are now charged with the task of choosing which party steers the ship.

In my eyes, that’s a no-brainer. We must move forward with the Grand Old Party. Although we could sit here and go through every issue, I would implore you to vote Republican for two specific reasons: Taxes and the war in Iraq.

Beginning in 2001, Bush and the Republicans made several decent-sized tax cuts. Democrats tried to stand in the way. Here we are five years later, the stock market continues to soar into uncharted territory, people are keeping more of the money they earned, and Bush’s plan for debt reduction is way ahead of schedule.

The difference between the parties on the issue of taxes is that Republicans think American’s money is best when it’s in their own pockets, and Democrats think everyone’s money is better off in the government’s pocket.

So what would happen if the Democrats take over control of Congress? New York Rep. Charlie Rangel, the Democrat who would become the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, recently told Bloomberg News that he couldn’t think of one of Bush’s tax cuts that he would renew.

In case you didn’t catch that, that means the man who would have the biggest impact on tax legislation wants to raise our taxes. So if you feel you have too much control over your money, vote for the Democrats.

The second vital reason that we should keep Republicans in control is the war in Iraq. Although we are in the middle of a tough struggle, we must come out the clear victors in this critical region.

From this point, there are exactly two paths we can take in Iraq, no more, no less. One is finishing the job, the second is to cut and run. Leaving Iraq before the job is done would tell the new Iraqi government that we don’t care about them and that we won’t stand with them as they form a new democracy.

It would also send a signal to our troops that we don’t value the commitments and sacrifices that they have made for our country. Republicans are committed to winning the war. What would happen if the Democrats take over control of Congress?

Whether they call for a timetable-based withdrawal, or their favorite term “redeployment,” it all amounts to the same thing – they want to give up. That is the one thing that we cannot afford to do.

So as you head to the polls or mail in your ballot, take the time to think about what’s at stake. Your vote will do more than decide if you can smoke weed. Elections have consequences, and I pray that we as a country make the right choice.

Nick Hemenway is a senior mechanical engineering major. His column appears Thursdays in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.