Song degrades opponents

I am not entirely sure what I missed here. This song, a one-year “tradition,” seeks to degrade our football opponents. It is a rallying cry for our fans and players, sung with heart and soul so our beloved stars might play the best final quarter they have ever played.

Never mind the fact it debases our opponents, making them lesser and us greater. Never mind the fact it baselessly chides other schools (and in effect, a major world religion). It saddens me that our student body would suggest they would rather be dead than at BYU, or any of the universities mentioned.

I have always viewed universities as a place for academic enlightenment, a place where people and ideas are respected and valued, even if they are different.

Perhaps I have been playing the role of CSU’s own Charlotte Simmons, seeking a life of the mind, only to discover colleges have a more important agenda. Perhaps I thought I would be getting an education in a place far-removed from the narrow-minded hometown from whence I came.

All this furor over a silly song, which carries all the “tradition” of a “first annual” event, that does not advance any of the academic, encompassing principles CSU claims to stand for…

CSU’s mission statement declares, “The values that support our operating practices” include: “promote civic responsibility; demonstrate inclusiveness and diversity; act with integrity and mutual respect.”

Nowhere in the statement does it so much as mention athletics, nor does it mention the singing of songs which seek to devalue athletic opponents, or any person for that matter.

For some time, I have been a vocal opponent against Larry Penley and the Athletics Department here at CSU; our mission statement says the university is “committed to excellence, setting the standard for public higher education,” while Athletics has one of the largest departmental budgets, and is the only department Penley has been an outspoken supporter for increasing its funding.

What we have seen here at CSU is athletics supersede academics, and it makes me sick. All this fuss about Fum’s Song simply reinforces my belief that CSU, from the students on up, have more interest in sports and “a good time” than in education and educational issues. I think it is a real black eye for a university that claims to be “the premier system of public higher education in the nation.”

Ryan D. Speaker

Senior

history