Nothing’s free at CSU

Authors: Kaitlin Snook

In student’s eyes, one of the more irritating problems on campus today is that of limited parking and the fines and tardiness that come with it. With this year’s closing of Laurel Street to student parking, the issue has only become more controversial.

Laurel has been one of the largest sources of convenient parking in the past, so it leaves little wonder why the demand for parking on campus, including available parking passes, has increased so dramatically.

This is even worse in the eyes of the pass-using students who live on campus. A student planning to live on campus pays $110 to park in their specific residence hall’s designated lot, day and night for the entirety of the school year.

Too bad very few people are actually getting what they paid for.

Corbett and Parmelee, two of the largest dorms on campus, actually have some of the smallest lots. The students living in these dorms have alternative places they are able to park, but only the one small lot is close enough to be considered convenient.

Apparently, buying a parking pass doesn’t actually give you the right to park on campus, but the right to look for a spot. On the occasion that a spot is not available and missing class is not an option, students are forced to pay the meters.

I’m glad I paid $85 for a pass, and thousands of dollars to attend class, while the university can’t even provide enough spots to assure that students have adequate parking.

This parking situation doesn’t only affect the students living on campus, but also the upperclassmen living too far away to walk or bike to school. Sure, there is always the option of taking the bus, but I tried that last year and let’s just say it wasn’t really for me.

In my opinion, leaving the house 30 minutes early just to sit outside of class for 15 minutes isn’t exactly the best way to start a day. And, for those of you that think, “Well, hey, at least the bus is free,” in your dreams! As if anything the university provides would be free.

The cost for a bus pass is included in everyone’s general fees, so whether you’re riding it or not, you’re paying for it.

To me there is clearly a problem facing CSU that needs to be addressed. With so many students contributing so much money for a convenient parking situation, it is time that we get what we are paying for.

Kaitlin Snook is a junior technical journalism major. Her column runs Fridays in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.