Ag Day marks football start

Authors: LYNDSEY STRUTHERS The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Founded 25 years ago by Thurman “Fum” McGraw, Ag Day began in the back of a truck bed.

On Saturday, Ag Day will mark the start of the school year and the first football game.

The event kicks off before the football game against Weber State in the parking lot south of Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium.

It’s set to run from noon to 2:15 p.m.

“First and foremost, Ag Day is a celebration of Colorado agriculture and all that it has to offer,” said Dennis Lamm, director of agriculture and event coordinator.

Lamm also described the event as a symbol of the three-way partnership between the College of Agricultural Sciences, the state’s agricultural industry and the department of athletics.

“The College of Agricultural Sciences as a whole tends to be extremely strong champions of CSU,” Lamm said.

The athletics department supplied the College of Agricultural Sciences with discounted football tickets, which can be purchased along with Ag Day tickets. The event has sold 800 football tickets so far and Lamm predicts they will reach 1,000.

Ag Day proceeds are used to provide students in the College of Agricultural Sciences with scholarships. Major producers donate food to the event to help generate scholarships for CSU students and promote their product.

Last year 18 scholarships were awarded to students from Ag Day proceeds.

Typically, about eight to 10 students receive scholarships every year, depending on the revenue generated by Ag Day, Lamm said.

The event will feature a barbeque that will allow local growers and producers to showcase their products. Apples grown in Grand Junction, corn raised in Olatha, beef and lamb raised in Colorado and wheat bread produced in a mill in Longmont will be served to those who attend.

This year, for the first time, grape tomatoes grown in a greenhouse in Denver will also be served.

Some believe the turnout won’t be too big.

Jonathan Martin, a political science and history major, said the fact that Weber State is a smaller school and disappointment over the Kyle Bell injury will dampen attendance.

“I plan on tailgating, so I’ll be there anyway,” he said.

K.C. Yates, a CSU alumnus, will be returning to CSU with his Morning Star Band to play live music at the event. K99 radio will also conduct a live radio broadcast.

Several organizations will have booths on display, including one set up by Gillette Anemology, which will feature cockroach races.

A limited number of tickets are still available. For more information, call 491-6497.

Staff writer Heather Hawkins contributed to this report.

Staff writer Lyndsey Struthers can be reached at news@collegian.com.