Rugby Ready to Rumble

Authors: AARON SCHOONMAKER The Rocky Mountain Collegian

One club team at CSU insists that there is no need for pads: rugby.

Ram rugby, which opened up in an impressive fashion against Metro State this past weekend, thwarting the Roadrunners four tries to one, is hoping to improve on a season in which it saw many highs.

“We have a tough schedule this year, playing three of our four league matches away from home,” said first-year Head Coach Blake Stevens. “It should be a big step up especially for a lot of the younger guys on the team.”

The team, which is ideally supposed to play two home and two away matches against the league foes, is in the middle of a three-to-one run as it played host to three of the four just a season ago.

“We will have a few games to gel before we get to Wyoming,” said Stevens. “And then we go to CU (Boulder) and Air Force before getting New Mexico here.”

Wyoming is the surprise of the bunch, making it to the sweet 16 last year.

This year’s match-up is scheduled for Sept. 24, just one day shy of the one year anniversary of the teams’ last meeting when the Cowboys got the better of the Rams, 22-11.

“This year’s team is real strong at every position, especially starters, but we have depth too,” said junior fly-half Logan Collins. “(This season) we expect wins at CU, Wyoming and Air Force.”

This weekend once again marks the annual alumni weekend for the team. Each year the squad, new and old, meets up for a weekend of festivities. This season, the faces of the program will attend the football home opener on Saturday, and then play the classic game on Sunday. The A-side game will begin at 1 p.m. on the Intramural Fields to be followed by the B-side and the women’s squad.

Stevens, an alumni himself, said he may pocket the temptation to play in this year’s contest due to an injured knee.

While none of this season’s matches are too far of a travel, the alumni game will be the only time to see Ram rugby at home until its Oct. 7, meeting against the Glendale Men’s Club. It will then finish the first half of its season at home against league challenger New Mexico on Oct. 28.

“We’re very strong this year,” Collins said. “And we have a coach that knows the team and knows what needs to get done.”

Staff writer Aaron Schoonmaker can be reached at sports@collegain.com.

—————————-

Interested in Playing?

Informational meeting at 6 p.m. tonight in the Lory Student Center lounge.

New players welcome. Contact the Club Sports office in the Student Recreation Center for more details.