Authors: NICK HUBEL The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The Ram men’s and women’s cross country teams start their seasons with the Laramie Invitational in Wyoming today. The annual event includes competition from Wyoming, Air Force, Northern Colorado, Metro State and University of Colorado-Colorado Springs.

For the Rams, this is the beginning of what has been billed as a promising season. In a recent poll by the coaches in the Mountain West, the women were picked to finish second, while the men were placed at third.

Head Coach Bryan Berryhill said he hopes that this meet will act as a pre-season meet, allowing some of the unproven runners an opportunity to show what they’ve got.

“We use this meet to get to know some of the younger kids a little better, and (it’s for) some of the older ones who feel they need an extra race in order to be prepared for the next one,” he said.

Although this meet alone will not determine the starting lineup for future meets, some spots are up for grabs, sophomore Steve Swartz said.

“All of us are in pretty good shape right now, and we are just looking to see who is the most ready to race,” Swartz said.

The course itself will serve as a good place for a warm-up meet as well. Not too hard, but not too easy either.

“Laramie is at 7,000 feet, so it is not an easy place to run at,” Berryhill said. “It’s got a few little hills in it, but the course itself is a moderate-to-easy course.”

The course will start and end at the Jacoby Golf Course in Laramie on the corner of 30th and Willis streets. The women’s 2.5-mile race begins at 6 p.m., and the men’s 4.25-mile race begins at 6:30 p.m.

Staff writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.