To the Editor

Yesterday, I discussed with Ms. (Sara) Crocker the medical implications of Plan B. Use of oral contraceptives in normal dosages, not the higher doses available in Plan B increases a woman’s risk for embolism (blood clots) especially if she is a smoker and/or diabetic. It logically follows that there may be more incidences of pulmonary embolism/strokes (from a clot) or deep vein thrombosis which has the complication of becoming dislodged resulting in pulmonary embolism which results in many deaths in America in a year. There are no long-term studies that look at the long-term effects of these high doses of hormones. I am unsure why I was noted to be a Nurse Practitioner if the comments I made about health concerns were not published.

There is no control in place to ensure that someone won’t use this medication every month, several times a year, etc… Why does the policy of the FDA not include making birth control pills available over the counter as well? In America, abortion is used as birth control and it is unfortunately easy to see that this can also being used in the same fashion.

Lolita Hanks

Colorado Right to Life

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

After reading both of Kevin Dudley’s articles today, I find myself wondering why. Why is he given so much space to ramble inconsequentially?

His comments on the so-called “hobo” population are useless. And his agreement to meet “more than halfway” on the issue of student pride is ridiculous. It sounds like he needs to take to heart his own advice of going over to the other side and hearing their opinions.

That means more than relating every situation to drinking or Xbox. That means actually listening to others, not just pretending to care. I think his article on school spirit is a great start in that direction, but it means nothing if he doesn’t even remotely believe his own words.

I love a funny article, but either make it completely useless with no point, or actually support the point you make. Right now, there is no clear reason why Dudley’s articles are being published when I know for a fact there are better writers in that newsroom.

Danielle Hudson

CSU Alumna and former Collegian head copy editor