Authors: COLLEEN TIMOTHY The Rocky Mountain Collegian

At 1 p.m. Monday a ribbon cutting ceremony will be held in honor of the grand opening of the remodeled Transit Center on campus. The ceremony will take place on the north side of the Lory Student Center.

Several prominent figures are set to be in attendance, including President Larry Penley, Sen. Wayne Allard and Fort Collins Mayor Doug Hutchinson.

The center is equipped with flat-screen monitors, a convenience store, offices and new headquarters for RamRide and more.

The theme of the event will be building and maintaining partnerships between CSU and the city of Fort Collins.

“Colorado State University is tremendously grateful to the state’s congressional leadership and the city of Fort Collins for the partnership that has created this innovative facility,” Penley said in a statement. “The new Transit Center offers a high level of service and convenience to our students and employees, and it reinforces our commitment to alternative transportation and sustainable building practices.”

With a grant from the Federal Transit Administration, and with Colorado State and the city of Fort Collins contributing 20 percent, this $8.24 million project added 14,458 square feet to the north side of the LSC and renovated 7,749 square feet of existing space.

“I like the new and open feeling of the new part of the student center,” said senior Amy Fox. “It has a different atmosphere which is nice because students can eat and study in more places now.”

Staff writer Colleen Timothy can be reached at news@collegian.com.